30 December 2013

St.Philips Celebrates 100 years as Rev Canon Ayela bid farewell



St.Philips Cathedral Southern Side view
The Dean of St. Philips Cathedral Rev. Canon Ayela Okot Othniel Labeja who has been the Diocesan Secretary diocese of Northern Uganda was given a befitting send off on Sunday 29th December 2013. At least ten million Uganda Shilling was given to the outgoing Diocesan Secretary /Dean of St. Philips Cathedral in addition to many assorted items. The Diocese will sell one used pickup and give the money to him as well; the Rev. Canon Ayela said he might not be able to meet the cost of running a vehicle so he preferred to be given money instead so that he can invest in Agriculture. The Bishop now becomes the Dean of St. Philips Cathedral.
Rev. Patrick Lumumba who has been the Diocesan Planning and Development officer is the new Diocesan Secretary Diocese of Northern Uganda.
The procession  to Re-Dedicate the Cathedral
On the same day St. Philips Cathedral marked 100 years of her existence, the Cathedral that was first build in 1913 with grass thatched roof, was renovated in 1929 where the  grass was removed and replaced with Iron Sheets. This year St. Philips had yet another remarkable change where the roof was changed, the wall was lifted up and the floor tiled. The total cost of the renovation is about 200 millions Uganda Shillings. This money came from Friends of St .Philips within and outside the country.
Passing through the cemetery
The function was attended by many dignitaries including but not limited to the following: - The Deputy Speaker of Parliament Hon Jacob Oulanyah, Minister Sam Engola, Hon. Betty Aol Ocan the women member of Parliament for Gulu District, Brigadier Otema Awany ,Hon Lillian Adong representing the people of Nwoya in the Parliament,  the Paramount Chief of Acholi David Onen Acana 11, Resident District Commissioners for Gulu, Nwoya and Pader, Permanent Secretaries, Commissioners and other religious leaders.
Bishop Opening the Cathedral
By the time of compiling this story at least 26 Churches have been built within the four years that Bishop Johnson has been the Bishop of the Diocese of Northern Uganda.  We give Glory to God for this great work.


Too full to accommodate  all



Rev. Canon Ayela in the middle together with his wife Pirina being greeted by Christians
The Deputy Speaker of Parliament Hon Jacob Oulanyah


The cakes

The Church build in 1913

No comments: